K-Line Maintenance & Construction Ltd.
We are currently hiring apprentices based out of Edmonton, Alberta
The Apprentice position assists in the construction, installation, maintenance, removal and inspection of transmission and distribution systems. The Powerline Technician Apprentice will drive and operate line trucks and associated equipment while working to obtain the necessary skills to achieve Journeyman status.
- Assist with the installation, repair, troubleshooting and maintenance of electrical distribution systems including overhead powerlines and cables, insulators, conductors, lightning arrestors, switches, transformers, and other associated equipment
- When required, use hot sticks to facilitate safe handling of high voltage lines without interrupting service, install protective grounds and cover-up. May operate hot sticks fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools to perform live line work
- Assist with splicing, soldering, and insulating conductors and wiring
- Assist with opening and closing of switches and install grounding devises to lines and equipment
- Assist with the erection and maintenance of steel, wood or concrete poles, towers, and guy wires
- Assist with inspection and testing overhead power lines, cables and auxiliary equipment using electrical test equipment
- Safely operate heavy duty utility equipment including Radial Arm Diggers, Bucket Trucks, and related equipment as required
- Always maintain personal and group safety
- Respond to unscheduled outages as the result of weather, component failures, etc.
- Be a positive team member through open communication and active participation in crew tasks
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Working towards completion of Powerline Technician Apprenticeship
- Completion of Post-Secondary education in a related field is an asset
- Valid Class 3A Driver’s License
- Knowledge of the Provincial Electrical Utilities Regulations and the Provincial Occupation Health & Safety Act, Regulations and Codes is an asset
- Ability to climb poles, work at heights and work in extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Strong communication, leadership, teamwork, and customer service skills
- Ability to interpret drawings, develop/ interpret work, and plan projects for self and others
- Excellent problem-solving skills
K-Line Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At K-Line, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.