K-Line Maintenance & Construction Ltd.
We are seeking a Journeyperson Certified Power Cable person to join our team based out of Toronto, ON.
The CPCP is part of the Distribution Maintenance and Capital/Reactive Construction team at K-Line. As a Power Cable person, you are accountable for installing, maintaining, and repairing underground power cables, transformers, switches, cubicles, and secondary network installations within the City of Toronto’s downtown and surrounding areas. The CPCP is fully qualified to work in all facets of the trade including energized circuits and has successfully completed a recognized training course.
- Testing cable with testing equipment such as VLF, hi-pot, VCI, and megger testing.
- Work in confined spaces and restricted spaces that are energized.
- Splicing and terminating XLPE, EPR, RILC, AILC and/or PILC cables. Terminating live front and dead front equipment.
- Switching on energized electrical apparatus and system automation components up to 25 kV for distribution and network. URD, CRD, UG Radial, OH, Network and 3 Letter designations.
- Locating faulting and troubleshooting issues that arise and mitigating them accordingly.
- Promoting safe and organized work sites.
- Mentoring, coaching, and training apprentices.
- Supervising contractors’, non-trades personnel or others below their classification. Inspecting work completed by contractors.
- Responding to emergency conditions and environmental hazards.
- Performing various administrative functions such as report writing, as-built information, and timesheets.
- Identifying controls for hazards and safe work planning.
- Partaking in rotations within other disciplines and parts of the trade.
- Operate and oversee the use of heavy machinery, tools, electrical equipment, and equipment such as cranes, dump trucks, HIAB’s, cable truck and trailer.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment. Clean, lubricate and refill equipment.
- Oversee the installation and repair of underground facilities.
- Knowledge of reading locate sheets and possible underground facilities.
- Knowledge of reading sketches, drawings, and feeder (operational) prints.
- Perform technical inspections on electrical equipment and ensure the maintenance and repair are conducted as required.
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints, issues, and problems, and coordinate with others, internally and externally, as needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum seven (7) years experience as an Underground Technician (Certified Power Cable Person)
- Completion of High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Related College diploma or certificates are an asset.
- Valid provincial driver’s license, valid provincial license for operating heavy-duty equipment and completion of DZ
- Qualified to be certified to be on the Toronto Hydro Electrical System Limited (THESL) Clearance List
- Qualified to operate test equipment
- Ability to analyze electrical systems and select a safe course of action
- Knowledge of approved methods, materials and tools used in line/underground construction and maintenance work
- Skilled in the application of first aid methods
- Knowledge of electricity as it relates to electric distribution and use
- Good mental concentration to work with high voltage equipment
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, GIS, Electronic tailboards, Timesheets, ELD
K-Line Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At K-Line, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.